Exploring the creative process
I’m on an ongoing journey to understand and explore the process of creativity and how it powers the world. I believe that we all need to and want to exercise creativity in our lives and in our work, solving problems and creating unique and compelling solutions individually as well as in collaboration with others.
I strongly believe that the culture and practices of creativity are applicable to all domains. I demonstrate this through my own multi-disciplined life, dividing my time between creative activities such photographing nature, wildlife, and culture, performing jazz and leading the Ottawa Jazz Orchestra, playing flamenco guitar, teaching creativity, and consulting to organisations to help them move faster and become more effective at scale.
- Check out my winter wildlife portraits from a recent visit to Algonquin Park.
2019 will be full of lots of photography, music, and more. Watch my blog, my Facebook page, or my Instagram account for updates from the field. I still have a lot more to plan for later in the year but here’s the plan so far.
- Prince Edward Island looking for red foxes
- Japan for street photography in Tokyo and winter wildlife in Hokkaido
- Banff for winter landscapes
- Two concerts leading the Ottawa Jazz Orchestra + two concerts appearing with the Ottawa Klezmer Band
- Kenya and Tanzania looking for wildlife in Amboseli National Park, Tarangire National Park, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Serengeti National Park, and of course the Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Traveling up north past Qikiqtarjuaq, around 68 degrees north, to camp on the ice looking for polar bears
- Khutzeymateen Provincial Park in British Columbia to observe grizzlies
- Two concerts leading the Ottawa Jazz Orchestra
- I’ll be teaching a new course on creativity in Carleton University’s continuing education program
- Alaska searching for grizzlies and other wildlife in various places including Lake Clark, Lake Iliamna, and Larsen Bay on Kodiak Island
- Svalbard (around 80 degrees north) looking for polar bears, arctic foxes, and other arctic wildlife during the endless days of midnight sun
- Norway looking for reindeer, musk ox, and moose in Dovrefjell National Park, white-tailed eagles in Smøla, and then wrapping up with landscape photography on the way back to Oslo
- I’ll be announcing the 2019-2020 Ottawa Jazz Orchestra season around this time
- Chilcotin country looking for grizzlies and other wildlife
- Botswana looking for wildlife in Chobe National Park and the Okavango Delta plus other stuff I’ll be adding to this trip
- I’ll be presenting a new festival/conference in Ottawa that I hope to announce in summer or fall 2019